Saturday, April 24, 2010

The Humble Telescope


In case you need something to show you how small and insignificant we are in this magnificent universe, check out this picture taken by the Hubble Telescope, which was launched 20 years ago this week.

What you're seeing there is known as "Mystic Mountain" and is considered one of the most incredible pictures that Hubble has snapped. Sure, it also looks like the standard screen-saver that comes with Windows, but that just shows how far screen-savers have come over there years.

By coincidence, I ended up watching 2001: A Space Odyssey last night, and there's few things that'll get you more in the mood to cozy up with the universe.

It should be noted that I didn't smoke weed before I watched the movie as I learned that you might think that HAL-9000 is talking to you the whole time if you're name is "Dave." I found that out the hard way a couple years ago...

2 comments:

Barry said...

Far out, Dave! Truthfully, though, I've never been able to make it past the Dawn of Man prologue in "2001: A Space Odyssey." And I'm not even sure that weed would help. LSD, maybe, but not weed.

Hal said...

I was visiting friends in Florida 20 years ago when the shuttle that carried the Hubble telescope into space was launched. I remember getting up awfully early and driving to, oh, some bay somewhere, to watch the thing go up. Pretty impressive, actually.

Barry: Even Pauline Kael seemed confused by "2001," calling it "some kind of great movie."