Friday, June 25, 2004

Saw Michael Moore's new movie, Fahrenheit 9/11 yesterday. Before I get into the arguements about the Moore's methods of movie-making I have to say that I really respect Michael Moore and what he is trying to do. The left in America has been pretty much silenced because we are at war and those who do speak up just whine (no offense, Janine Gorafolo).

Basically, Moore claims that the Bush family is so entrehnched in defense spending and big oil companies, they they and the Saudi's, who own 7 percent of America, are profitting hugely from our war machine. He links all kinds of people back and forth from the Bush family to the Saudi's and even to the bin Laden family itself. What I really appreciated was the message that this whole thing isn't about some evil plot to run the world, but it is nothing more than all about money and making those who have the money get more money.

On top of that stuff he manages to show what a basically incompentent fool GWB is, although to be fair, Moore doesn't need much editing for that. The highlight of the movie is probably when Moore carefully examines the 7 mintues that elapses from when Bush heard about the World Trade Center until he actually got up from reading a children's book with some 2nd graders. It was incredible watching Bush just sit there, looking dumbfounded, seemingly waiting for someone to come into the room and tell him what to do.

I've been trying to reevaluate where I sit on the war in Iraq and who I'll vote for in the next election. Even if this movie was left-wing propoganda then the same arguement would lead me to believe that Fox News is right wing propoganda. And that leaves me, like most people, right smack in the middle. So, I guess I'll have to work a little harder to figure out what I really think, and what I really believe, and who I can really support.

Oh, and I'll work on getting funnier, too.

No comments: