Friday, February 27, 2009

To Spit Or To Swallow?

I just received a note under my door from the landlord.  It reads as follows...

Dear Tenant,

It has been brought to our attention that tenants are smoking and spitting in the common areas of the building.  Smoking in the hallway is prohibited by the NYC Fire Code and subject to penalty.  Further, spitting is unacceptable and this disgusting habit must case immediately.

Please help us keep you building clean and habitable.

Ahh, yes, there is nothing like the classy people that live in the average NYC walk-up building.  While I don't know who the spitter is, I do know that the smoker is an older woman who smokes in the hallway because she doesn't want her granddaughter to inhale the smoke.  How lovely that she sends it to the rest of us.

(Loyal Rubinville readers might remember that a few years ago I wrote about how once when I saw her smoking in the hallway she hid the cigarette up her sleeve and then it literally looked as if her body was in fire as the smoke poured out of her jacket.)

Alright, that's about it for me.  Have a nice weekend.  Oh, and in case you didn't understand why I chose the picture above, those are llamas, natures most notorious spitters...

No comments: