Tuesday, June 17, 2008

The Great Herring War

And now the story about me, Martha Stewart and Betty White. I know that most people go to websites like TMZ.com for hot Hollywood dish, but once in awhile I open up the salacious vault here at Rubinville. Here we go...

A couple years back, I was a production assistant on Martha. For those that don't watch, that is Martha Stewart's daytime show, not Mothra who fought Godzilla. Anyway, one day Betty White was a guest on the show and the crowd was abuzz. The producers decided to do a little Q&A with Betty, so before the show began they were asking people if they had any questions that they'd like to ask her. Most of the women were asking boring questions like, "What's your favorite cookie?" and "Do you like to bake?", so I knew I had to step in.

I went over to a producer and said that someone should ask Betty what her favorite St. Olaf story was. The producer loved the idea, but clearly I couldn't ask Betty the question as an employee of the show.

(Stop reading here if you believe in the magic of television. You are warned.)

It was agreed amongst the producers that someone would be planted in the crowd to ask the question. It was highly immoral and dubious, but it was done nonetheless. Here, for the first time, is the clip that Betty White referred to when asked my question by the planted audience member...


No comments: